Week 8 HW Name ______________________________________
1. A hydraulic lift is used to lift heavy machine pushing down on a 5 square meters piston with a force of 1000 N. What force needs to be applied on the 1 square meter piston to lift the machine.
2. A water tower has a vertical pipe that is filled with water. The pipe is open to the atmosphere at the top. The pipe is 22 m high. What is the pressure at the bottom?
3. The Mariana trench is in the Pacific Ocean and has a depth of approximately 11,000 m. The density of seawater is approximately 1025 kg/m3. What force would someone experience at such depth?
4. How deep do you need to go under water to double the atmospheric pressure of 1 atm? Water density is exactly 1000 kg/m3.
5. A tennis ball has a density of 0.084 g/cm3 and a diameter of 3.8 cm. What force is required to submerge the ball in water?
Tell us What you Need