. Discuss the importance of effective communication in the personal relationship, the therapeutic relationship, and the relationship within the interprofessional health-care team. 2. What similarities and differences can you identify among the above interactions?
1. Discuss the importance of effective communication in the personal relationship, the therapeutic relationship, and the relationship within the interprofessional health-care team.
2. What similarities and differences can you identify among the above interactions?
3. Explain the concept of congruence between verbal and nonverbal communication.
4. There are many pitfalls to electronic communication. Identify a situation in which an electronic form of communication may result in a miscommunication. What other method of communication would have been more effective?
5. How have you seen ISBAR used during your clinical experiences?
6- Develop a hand-off report for yourself. Include items that you believe are pertinent for safe and effective nursing care. Refer to the information in the chapter for creating this report form. Using the information from the chapter, determine the effectiveness of the system currently in use on your unit for communicating shift-to-shift reports.
7-Dr. Roberts comes into the nurses’ station demanding, “Where are Mr. Adams’s lab reports? I ordered these stat, and they’re not here! Who’s responsible for this patient?” How would you, as the nurse, respond?
8-Explain the concept of accountability in delegation. What are the legal ramifications of accountability in delegation?
9. Dennie and Elias arrive in the unit for the 7:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. shift. Both nurses completed orientation 4 weeks ago. They find that they will be the only two RNs on the floor that night. There is a census of 48 clients. The remaining staff consists of two NAPs/UAPs and one LPN. What are the responsibilities of the RN, NAP/UAP, and LPN? Can Dennie and Elias effectively delegate client care tasks and care safely for all 48 clients? Use the Delegation Tree to make your decisions.
10. Discuss the differences between direct delegation and indirect delegation.
1. You have to observe delegation procedures in your assigned unit:
A-What considerations does the RN take into account when delegating patient care?
2-You have to look at the unit census and prioritize the patient care:
A- Give the rationale foryour choices.
3.Answer the following questions during your clinical experiences:
a. What specific tasks did your patients require that you might have been able to delegate?
b. How effective was your nurse/preceptor in delegating tasks to others?
c. How did your nurse/preceptor ensure that the tasks were completed safely and appropriately?